Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
I was making egg rolls one night, and just started adding things. These turned out pretty good. I had to guesstimate on the amounts of the spices. Please feel free to adjust to your taste.
- 4 cups finely shredded green cabbage
- 3⁄4-1 cup of finely shredded cooked chicken (i used leftovers from Crock Pot Whole Chicken thanks again kathy)
- 3⁄4 cup of finely shredded carrot
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons onion powder (taste to suit)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons garlic powder (taste to suit)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (taste to suit)
- 14 -15 egg roll wraps (16 oz.pkg.)
- 1 cup canola oil
honey-apricot dipping sauce
- 1 cup honey
- 3⁄4 cup apricot preserves
- 1⁄3 cup cold water
- In a large bowl combine cabbage and carrots; mix well.
- Add chicken; mix well.
- Add seasonings, mixing well.
- Taste, adjust seasonings if needed.
- Add egg, mixing well.
- To wrap egg rolls--.
- Lay wrapper on work surface.
- With wet fingers, damp all edges of wrapper.
- Place 4 tablespoons of mixture evenly across center of wrapper.
- Make sure filling is 3/4 inches away from edge.
- Fold bottom half over to meet top.
- Roll until tightly wrapped.
- Make sure that you are folding in sides as you are rolling.
- In a large 12 inch skillet, heat oil until hot.
- Fry on both sides until golden brown, about 3 minutes on each side.
- Drain on paper towels.
- For Honey-Apricot Dipping Sauce--.
- In small saucepan combine all sauce ingredients.
- Over low heat, stir until boiling.
- Then cool.
I only made the sauce, but the honey for me, was over powering. I did add more apricot preserves but the honey taste was still to dominate.
These were very good egg rolls. I used only 1/2 a teaspoon of the ceyenne pepper and it was just right. the saucse made a nice compliment to the spice in the rolls.
Preparing them took a little time. However, they tasted great! The sauce was too sweet. Using the sweet & sour sauce packets from your local chinese restaurant is much better.