Recipe by Chef Petunia
This is a recipe from the Food 911 show that Tyler Florence hosted on Food Network. This is a wonderful dish that makes a lot of sauce. I also prefer my food a bit spicier so I add hot curry powder rather than the regular curry and also extra red pepper flakes. This is great served over noodles, rice or just out of the bowl as a soup.
- 3 tablespoons ghee (clarified butter)
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 inch fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 -3 dried red chili
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 (15 ounce) cans unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 4 tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro leaf, plus more for garnish
- 1 lemon, juice of
- mint leaf, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the ghee in a large heavy-bottomed pot over medium-low heat. Add the onions, ginger, and garlic and cook slowly until the onions are very soft, about 15 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste, curry powder, cinnamon stick, and chiles and give it a good stir; season with salt and pepper. Pour in the coconut milk and chicken stock and bring it back to a simmer; cook until the sauce has thickened, about 20 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, chicken, cilantro, and half the lemon juice; continue to simmer until the chicken is cooked through, about 10 to 15 minutes. Taste and adjust the seasoning with lemon juice, salt and pepper. Garnish with cilantro and mint leaves.