Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
I got this recipe from my mom, who in turn got it from a friend, who in turn got it from www.foodandwine.com. It is extremely flavorful!! It also freezes very well. You could use boneless, skinless chicken breast in lieu of the thighs and it would be just as wonderful.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb skinless chicken thigh, cut into thin strips
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeds and ribs removed, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups crushed tomatoes (with their juice)
- 2 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped cilantro (optional)
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil over moderately low heat.
- Add the onion and garlic; cook until they start to soften, about 3 minutes.
- Increase the heat to moderate and stir in the chicken strips.
- Cook until they are no longer pink, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in the chili powder, cumin, oregano, and salt.
- Add the jalapeños, the tomatoes with their juice, and the broth.
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Uncover the saucepan and stir in the beans and black pepper.
- Simmer until the chili is thickened, about 15 minutes longer.
- Serve topped with the cilantro.
Easy to make. Has the right amount of spice blend to make it pack a spicy punch, but not overwhelming