Recipe by Nancybug
This is one of my family's favorite standbys. I always make a double batch and freeze half for another day.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 chicken breast halves, cubed
- 1 cup red onion, cubed
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded & diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, drained
- 2 (15 ounce) cans Mexican-style tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup salsa
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat olive oil in soup pot.
- Add chicken, onion, bell pepper, and garlic. Cook until chicken is done (5-10 minutes).
- Add beans, tomatoes, salsa, cumin, chili powder, salt and cayenne (if desired).
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat. Simmer uncovered for at least 15 minutes. If you have time, simmering for a longer period of time (45 minutes to an hour) is better.
- Serve with a scoop of sour cream, grated cheddar cheese, and tortilla chips.
- I use yellow bell peppers for their color, but others are easily substited. Add or subtract cayenne as your taste dictates.