Prep 2 mins
Cook 15 mins
A delicious and healthy composed-style salad that you can make as spicy as you wish. I love the whole thing, but I especially love the bite of the lemon juice and chili oil in the green salad. And the chickpea salad is a meal in itself! Makes a great lunch or light dinner, substantial but not overly filling.
For the chicken
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, cut into strips
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
For the chickpeas
- 2 (15 ounce) cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1⁄4 cup diced red onion
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons chopped of fresh mint
For the green salad
- 2 1⁄2 cups fresh spinach, torn
- 3 1⁄2 cups red leaf lettuce, torn
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon hot curry oil
- Combine all ingredients for the chicken; cover and chill together for at least an hour.
- Combine all ingredients for the chickpeas; cover and chill together.
- Saute"marinated" chicken strips in a bit of olive oil until cooked through, about 15 minutes, depending on size of your strips.
- Chill the cooked chicken.
- Toss together the spinach and lettuce.
- Drizzle with the lemon juice& chili oil.
- Serve green salad with a portion of chickpeas and chicken.
This was amazing! Made exactly as described, but scaled down for two. I'm already planning to make this again for friends this weekend. Such a refreshing combination of flavours! And very filling without leaving one feeling heavy. It'd be really nice as a summer salad with a chilled white wine. :-)
I marinated the chicken in all of the seasonings in the recipe and added plain yogurt. I then refrigerated it for at least an hour. The yogurt makes the chicken tender and moist. Also, if you aren't in the mood for salad, just put the chicken and chickpeas in a pita.