Recipe by 2timeMom
The mother of a friend taught me to make this..she is from Texas, so it is a little spicy. You can modify the tomatoes to the mild kind. ( I do for my 7 year old...she loves it)Or use spicy for adults. My whole family loves this recipe. Add a salad and bread for a quick easy meal.
- 1 lb chicken (bone in is fine)
- 5 -7 soft tortillas, taco sized
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) canhot Rotel Tomatoes (or original, or mild)
- 2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans cream of chicken soup
- fresh mushrooms, diced
- 4 cups shredded monterey jack and cheddar cheese blend
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Remove skin from chicken if it has any. Put in large pot, cover with water. Turn on high, cover, and forget about it for a while. (Until chicken is thoroughly done and coming off bone, or easily shredded with fingers)Allow to cool, then shred chicken into small pieces.
- While chicken is cooking, dice mushrooms and chop onions.
- Spray a large pan (preferably glass)with non stick cooking spray. Put a layer of tortillas on the bottom. Cover with a 1/2 of shredded chicken.
- Mix soups, mushrooms, tomatoes, and salt and pepper together in large bowl. Put 1/3 of mixture on top of chicken, spread, and add 1/3 of cheese.
- Add another layer of tortillas, cover with remaining chicken, 1/3 of soup mixture, and 1/3 of cheese.
- One more layer of tortillas. Cover with remaining soup mixture and cheese. Sprinkle green onions on top.
- Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes, or until cheese is bubbling and a little browned at edges.