Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
I been looking to trim down the calories and this is a great start. Enjoy.
- 2 1⁄2 lbs cooked chicken, pulled from carcass
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cups onions, diced
- 1 cup carrot, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1⁄4 cup jalapeno, diced
- 4 cups cabbage, chopped
- 2 quarts water or 2 quarts stock
- 1 (20 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 bouillon cubes
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon carribean caribbean jerk seasoning
- 2 (12 ounce) cans black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 3 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- Over medium heat, begin sweating the vegetables, cabbage, and jalapeno in the oil.
- Add the water or stock(made yourself, right?) and all of the other ingredients, save for the chicken and the vinegar.
- Simmer for about an hour. Everything should be soft and the soup should be aromatic.
- Adjust the seasoning to your taste.
- Add the chicken to warm it through, and stir in the vinegar to brighten the flavors.