Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
These easy to eat chicken and bacon pasties are perfect for on the go, lunch boxes, or a main meal served with a nice green salad.
- 2 slices streaky bacon, chopped
- 1 large potato, peeled and cut into small cubes (about 250g total weight)
- 1 red chili pepper, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 cooked chicken, breast meat shredded
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 13 ounces premade puff pastry
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Heat oven to 425°F Fry the bacon in a non-stick pan over a medium heat for a few mins, until it starts to release its fat. Add the potato, turn up the heat and fry for 5 mins, stirring occasionally, until the bacon is crisp and the potato just underdone.
- Add the chili and cook for a further minute Season generously with black pepper, plus salt to taste.
- Tip into a bowl and mix with the shredded chicken and scallions. Unroll the pastry and, with a rolling pin, roll out until it's large enough to cut out 4 circles of pastry, using a large saucer or a side plate as a guide, discarding the trimmings. Lift onto a baking sheet.
- Spoon the filling into the middle of each circle. Brush the edges of the pastry with a little milk, then bring them up to the middle, pinching at the top to make a pasty. Brush with a little milk, then bake for 15 mins or until golden.
I used 2 chicken breast and 3 small yellow potatoes (equals about the same size as one large baking potato) They didn't have any fresh red chili peppers at the market, so I used a little bit of canned chipotle peppers to substitute. This made the perfect amount for a box of pre-made Pepperidge Farm Puff Pastry sheets.
The flavor is good, but a little on the dryer side. However, I was happy with the result given how easy they are to make.