Recipe by bodix9812
An adapted, healthier version of Olive Garden's delicious Zuppa Toscana. Great with a sprinkling of asiago or romano cheese and served with warm bread and a nice vouvray wine. For this recipe, I use Han's All Natural Garden Vegetable, Asagio Cheese Chicken Sausage .
- 1 lb chicken sausage
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3⁄4 cup onion
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons garlic
- 2 quarts chicken broth
- 2 large potatoes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups kale
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat 1T olive oil in large stock pot.
- Add chicken, removed from the sausage casings. Brown then set aside.
- Add chopped onions to remaining oil in pot: saute.
- Add chopped garlic.
- Add chicken broth, slowly.
- Add peeled, chopped potatoes to broth mixture.
- Add oregano, basil and salt.
- Add chopped parsley.
- Add crushed red pepper to taste.
- Simmer for about 30 minutes until potatoes are done.
- Add some of the hot broth mixture to the milk, then slowly pour back into stock pot broth mixture, or heat milk in microwave before adding to broth mixture.
- Add sliced or chopped kale and sausage.
- Reheat and cook about 5 more minutes.