Recipe by thre_j
This is a modification of a friends recipe, I like food a little spicier than her family. This a good harvest time recipe because it uses fresh from the garden veggies!
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 fresh chili peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 habanero pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 lb chicken (your choice of cut)
- 2 (14 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 (14 ounce) can black beans
- 3 teaspoons Old Bay Seasoning (found in the seafood section of grocery stores)
- 1 cup barley
- 2 medium summer squash, sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- In olive oil, saute onion, celery, all the peppers and garlic in soup pot until soft.
- Add broth, tomatoes, black beans, seasoning and chicken to pot and simmer until chicken is cooked. Remove chicken from pot, shred or dice chicken and return to pot.
- Add barley and squash, simmer 45 minutes to an hour.