Recipe by Johnney
This spicy sauce, which makes good use of leftover chicken or turkey, is also great on true pastas, as well as the spaghetti squash suggested here. For a vegetarian version, simply eliminate the meat, or if you want a substitute, use extra firm tofu.
Top Review by LorrieK
Yummmm!!! I'm excited to find another great spaghetti squash recipe! I sauteed a (quartered & sliced) zucchini along with the onions & garlic, added 1/2 tsp. salt, and used only 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes. Easy, healthy, and delicious! Thanks, Johnney!
- 1 small spaghetti squash, cooked by your favorite method and separated into strands (See How to Cook Spaghetti Squash)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup minced onion
- 3 -4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 12 ounces cooked chicken or 12 ounces cooked turkey
- 2 cups canned crushed tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup dry red wine
- 2 teaspoons capers
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
- 3 tablespoons Italian parsley, finely chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium high heat, sauté onion, garlic and green onions for 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken or turkey and cook for about 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes and wine and bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Pour sauce over heated spaghetti squash and serve.