Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 35 mins
This spicy sauce, which makes good use of leftover chicken or turkey, is also great on true pastas, as well as the spaghetti squash suggested here. For a vegetarian version, simply eliminate the meat, or if you want a substitute, use extra firm tofu.
- 1 small spaghetti squash, cooked by your favorite method and separated into strands (See How to Cook Spaghetti Squash)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup minced onion
- 3 -4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 12 ounces cooked chicken or 12 ounces cooked turkey
- 2 cups canned crushed tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup dry red wine
- 2 teaspoons capers
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
- 3 tablespoons Italian parsley, finely chopped
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium high heat, sauté onion, garlic and green onions for 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken or turkey and cook for about 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes and wine and bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Pour sauce over heated spaghetti squash and serve.
Yummmm!!! I'm excited to find another great spaghetti squash recipe! I sauteed a (quartered & sliced) zucchini along with the onions & garlic, added 1/2 tsp. salt, and used only 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes. Easy, healthy, and delicious! Thanks, Johnney!
Unfortunately, this did not come out well. The sauce was spicy, but it was not flavorful, even after adding a chicken bouillon cube, heavy cream and parmesan. With the squash, this was too sweet. I've made other spaghetti squash dishes with success, but I'm sorry to say I couldn't find anything that would "fix" this one.
Delicious! Prepared exactly as suggested but added a handful of kalamata olives & mixed the spaghetti squash into the sauce before serving.