Recipe by chelseas
Originally from a Cooking Light magazine. An unexpected combo of flavors makes one tasty stew.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 4 cups sliced onions
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced seeded jalapeno pepper
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups cubed fresh pumpkin or 6 cups other winter squash, peeled
- 1 cup water
- 1 (14 ounce) can light coconut milk
- 1⁄4 cup chopped cilantro
- 5 cups hot cooked rice
Directions See How It's Made
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add half of the chicken and sauté for 8 minutes or until browned. Remove chicken from pot and repeat procedure with 1 teaspoon oil and remaining chicken; set aside.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and next 5 ingredients; sauté for 2 minutes. Stir in pumpkin, water, and coconut milk; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes or until pumpkin is tender.
- Return chicken to pan; cook 10 minutes.
- Stir in cilantro.
- Serve over rice.