Prep 45 mins
Cook 15 mins
In 'Cooking from the Hip' by Cat Cora
Make and share this Spicy Chicken and Peach Stir-Fry recipe from Food.com.
- 2 -3 Thai red chili peppers or 2 -3 serrano chilies
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, sliced into 1/2-inch thick slices
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour or 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil or 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and thinly sliced on the bias
- 1 cup broccoli floret
- 1⁄2 cup snow peas, strings removed
- 3 peaches, halved, pitted, and sliced, any juices reserved (or mangoes)
- soy sauce, if needed
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon chopped scallion
- 1 tablespoon slivered almonds, toasted, for garnish
- With a sharp knife, cut the Thai chili in half lengthwise.
- Seed by scraping the inside of each chili half with your knife.
- Thinly slice the chili (be very careful not to touch your face or eyes while you are working with the chili; as soon as it is sliced, wash your hands and the knife carefully).
- In a medium Pyrex dish or bowl, combine the soy sauce, ginger, garlic, and chili slices.
- Add the strips of chicken and stir to coat; cover and refrigerate.
- Sift the flour into a small bowl (if using cornstarch, you don't need to sift).
- Heat the oil in a wok or large skillet set over high heat.
- When the oil is hot, add the onions; stir for 1-2 minutes, then add the chicken strips, lifting them out of the marinade with a slotted spoon.
- Saute quickly just until the chicken begins to brown and then pour in the marinade.
- Add the carrot slices and broccoli and lower the heat to med-high, covering the pan with a lid to keep liquids from evaporating.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes or until the carrots are tender.
- Toss in the snow peas and the peach slices and their juices and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- If there doesn't seem to be much liquid in the pan, add 1-2 tablespoons soy sauce.
- Stir 3-4 tablespoons of the pan liquid into the reserved flour or cornstarch, mixing well until completely smooth.
- Add the mixture to the pan, moving the vegetables to the side with a spatula and stirring the sauce with a small wooden spoon to thicken.
- Toss in the cilantro and scallions, give everything one last good stir to mix, and heat it through.
- Sprinkle with almonds before serving.