Recipe by llk2day
This recipe is one that is a mixture of many simular recipes I have tried in the past, but none of them impressed me that much. So through many trials and failures I came up with my own combination of ingredients. I think it is quite good! So decided to share this recipe with you to see what you think.
Top Review by targetbg
My husband and I really enjoy this recipe. We choose to leave the chicken out of it and just enjoy the rest of the casserole. The cheese on top makes for an absolutely delicious crispy crust. I use pepper jack cheese. I could not find the Carribean black beans so just added some brown sugar, lime juice and liquid smoke when I didn't "chicken" it but when I did I seasoned the chicken with smoked paprika. A delightful dish and on the list to make often, it's so colorful and healthy and wonderful! Thanks so much. Laurel
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into eight cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (1 ounce) envelope taco seasoning
- 1 cup frozen corn, cooked as directed
- 2 (15 ounce) canss and w brand caribbean black beans
- 1 (7 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes with jalapenos
- 1 (2 1/4 ounce) cansliced olives, drained
- 1⁄2 cup medium salsa
- 1 tablespoon chicken soup base, paste (Smart and Final brand if interested) (optional)
Corn bread cheese topping
- 1 (8 1/2 ounce) packagesweet cornbread mix (Jiffy brand)
- 1⁄2 cup grated colby cheese or 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup grated monterey jack cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In a hot skillet add the olive oil and chicken cubes, cook just until no longer pink.
- Stir in the taco seasoning.
- Add all the remaining ingredients with the exception of the corn bread mixture and the cheese.
- Blend together and pour into a greased 9x12 inch casserole dish.
- Mix, but do not bake the corn bread as directed on the package.
- Spread the uncooked cornbread mixture on top of the casserole.
- Sprinkle the cheeses that have been blended together evenly on top of the cornbread mixture.
- Bake in a hot oven at 350 degrees for 35-45 minutes.
- You want the cheese and the corn bread to turn a nice light golden brown color.
- If you are a cornbread lover like myself, use two packages of prepared cornbread instead of one.