Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
Chicken and canned beans in a rich, spicy tomato based sauce. Can be served with tortillas, over rice or just as a stew. Makes fantastic leftovers too.
- 1 1⁄2 kg skinless chicken thighs, chopped
- 2 onions, sliced
- 2 red peppers, chopped
- 150 g hot chorizo sausage, sliced (optional)
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder (or to taste)
- 820 g canned tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup tomato paste
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 620 g canned red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro, fresh and finely chopped
- Heat a non-stick pan and spray with cooking oil spray.
- Brown the chicken in batches and remove from the pan.
- Add onions, peppers, and chorizo sausages (if using) to the pan and cook until the onions are soft.
- Add the cumin, paprika and chilli.
- Cook, stirring until the spices are fragrant.
- Add undrained crushed tomatoes, tomato paste and chicken stock.
- Simmer uncovered for 15 minutes to thicken slightly.
- Return the chicken to the pan along with the beans and cilantro.
- Heat through and serve.
- Can be served with tortillas and salad or over rice, it's up to you!
I've just made this with skinless chicken breasts and aded zucchini and it was wonderful.