Recipe by Julesong
Good for holidays, Mother's Day, and lazy Sunday mornings. :) Make it the night before and stick in the fridge, then just pop into the oven the next morning.
Top Review by MicDoc
This has become my family's favorite breakfast casserole. Instead of the sun-dried tomatoes and green chilis, I used a can of Rotel tomatoes with green chilies, drained. I used 8 large slices of wheat bread instead of white. And I left out the tobasco which others could add later. It was not too spicy at all without the tobasco and I'll probably add it next time. Yummy recipe!!!
- 8 slices white bread, crusts removed and cut into cubes
- 1 lb spicy pork sausage, crumbled and cooked (Italian, bulk, or Jimmy Dean)
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (4 ounce) can mild green chilies, drained
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 10 large eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons chopped sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground sage
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- pepper, to taste (anywhere between 3 dashes to 1/4 teaspoon)
- 2 dashes Tabasco sauce, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the sausage until browned well, crumble; set aside.
- In the same pan, sauté the mushrooms, onion, garlic, and green chiles.
- Combine the sausage with the mushroom mixture; set aside and let cool.
- Grease a 9x13-inch glass baking dish and fill the bottom with the prepared bread cubes; top with sausage mixture then the cheese.
- Beat together the eggs, milk, sundried tomatoes, basil, sage, dry mustard, salt, pepper, and Tabasco; pour over sausage and cheese in the baking pan.
- (This dish can be prepared a day ahead- at this point you'd cover it with plastic wrap and put it in the refrigerator.) In the morning, remove the casserole from the refrigerator and set it out on the counter for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Uncover and bake casserole until it's golden and puffy and the center is set, about 50 to 60 minutes.
- Cut into squares and serve.
- If you want it especially spicy, chop up a jalapeno and sauté it along with the onion and mushrooms; you can also substitute O'Brien potatoes for the bread; you can even substitute vegetarian sausage for the meat!