1 hr 20 mins
Good for holidays, Mother's Day, and lazy Sunday mornings. :) Make it the night before and stick in the fridge, then just pop into the oven the next morning.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 slices white bread, crusts removed and cut into cubes
- 1 lb spicy pork sausage, crumbled and cooked (Italian, bulk, or Jimmy Dean)
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (4 ounce) can mild green chilies, drained
- 1 1/2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 10 large eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons chopped sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil
- 1/4 teaspoon ground sage
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- pepper, to taste (anywhere between 3 dashes to 1/4 teaspoon)
- 2 dashes Tabasco sauce, to taste
- 1Cook the sausage until browned well, crumble; set aside.
- 2In the same pan, sauté the mushrooms, onion, garlic, and green chiles.
- 3Combine the sausage with the mushroom mixture; set aside and let cool.
- 4Grease a 9x13-inch glass baking dish and fill the bottom with the prepared bread cubes; top with sausage mixture then the cheese.
- 5Beat together the eggs, milk, sundried tomatoes, basil, sage, dry mustard, salt, pepper, and Tabasco; pour over sausage and cheese in the baking pan.
- 6(This dish can be prepared a day ahead- at this point you'd cover it with plastic wrap and put it in the refrigerator.) In the morning, remove the casserole from the refrigerator and set it out on the counter for 30 minutes.
- 7Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 8Uncover and bake casserole until it's golden and puffy and the center is set, about 50 to 60 minutes.
- 9Cut into squares and serve.
- 10If you want it especially spicy, chop up a jalapeno and sauté it along with the onion and mushrooms; you can also substitute O'Brien potatoes for the bread; you can even substitute vegetarian sausage for the meat!
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spicy Cheesy Sausage Breakfast Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (206 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 465.6
- Calories from Fat 282
- Total Fat 31.3 g
- Saturated Fat 13.0 g
- Cholesterol 304.1 mg
- Sodium 1215.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 2.6 g
- Protein 26.3 g