Recipe by rpgaymer
Yet another Mexican-inspired burger. Who needs bread when you can use tortillas? These are a tasty combination of two awesome things, I think.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- 1 teaspoon adobo seasoning or 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 8 (10 inch) flour tortillas
- 1 1⁄2 cups chihuahua cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup pico de gallo or 1⁄2 cup chunky salsa, very well-drained
- 1⁄4 cup pickled jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
- olive oil, for frying burgers and brushing tortillas
- sour cream, as desired
Directions See How It's Made
- With your hands, combine the ground beef with the spices (red pepper through adobo seasoning/salt). Divide the meat into four same-sized portions, then form each into a burger patty. You want thin, very flat and very round burgers.
- Heat some olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Fry each patty for 5-10 minutes (until desired doneness), flipping once halfway through. Alternately, you can grill or broil the burgers. Set patties aside when done and keep warm.
- Wipe down the skillet and return to heat. Brush one side of each tortilla with olive oil. Place tortilla oiled-side down onto hot skillet. Place 3 tablespoons of cheese on the tortilla, leaving same space empty near the edges. Top the cheese with 2 tablespoons of pico de gallo, then top with a burger patty. Now, top the burger with 1 tablespoon chopped jalapenos and then 3 tablespoons of cheese. Finally, place another tortilla on the quesadilla with the oiled-side facing you.
- Cook until the bottom of the tortilla is browned and cheese is fully melted, about 1-2 minutes. Flip, and cook another 1-2 minutes.
- Repeat steps 3 and 4 until all quesadillas are constructed and cooked.
- Cut each each quesadilla in half and serve right away with a bit of sour cream. Serve alongside rice & beans for a complete and satisfying meal.