Recipe by Khandi Howard
This is a great Potato - Hamburger soup and a nice alternative to plain potato soup. It is spicy with the addition of a can of Rotel tomatoes (tomatoes with chili peppers added) - if you don't want it to be spicey, just add a can of plain diced tomatoes. This soup freezes well. I freeze it in Hefty disposable containers and warm it in the microwave for a quick meal.
Top Review by Sabine35
This soup was absolutely wonderful. My family loved it. I could not feed it to my toddlers though. Next time I will use regular diced tomatoes. I would recommend it to everyone.
- 226.79-340.19 g ground beef
- 177.44 ml chopped onion
- 177.44 ml shredded carrot
- 177.44 ml diced celery
- 4.92 ml dried basil
- 4.92 ml dried parsley flakes
- 59.16 ml butter or 59.16 ml margarine, divided
- 709.77 ml chicken broth
- 946.36 ml diced peeled potatoes (1 3/4 pounds)
- 59.14 ml all-purpose flour
- 226.79 g process American cheese, cubed (2 cups)
- 354.88 ml milk
- salt & pepper
- 283.49 g can Rotel Tomatoes
- 59.14 ml sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- In a 3 quart saucepan, brown beef; drain and set aside.
- In the same saucepan, saute onion, carrots, celery, basil and parsley in 1 tablespoon butter until vegetables are tender about 10 minutes.
- Add broth, tomatoes, potatoes and beef; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, melt remaining butter.
- Add flour; cook and stir for 3-5 minutes or until bubbly.
- Add to soup; bring to a boil.
- Cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Add cheese, milk, salt and pepper; cook and stir until cheese melts.
- Remove from the heat; blend in sour cream.
- (makes 2 1/4 quarts).