Khandi Howard's Note:
This is a great Potato - Hamburger soup and a nice alternative to plain potato soup. It is spicy with the addition of a can of Rotel tomatoes (tomatoes with chili peppers added) - if you don't want it to be spicey, just add a can of plain diced tomatoes. This soup freezes well. I freeze it in Hefty disposable containers and warm it in the microwave for a quick meal.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2-3/4 lb ground beef
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup shredded carrot
- 3/4 cup diced celery
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 4 tablespoons butter or 4 tablespoons margarine, divided
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups diced peeled potatoes (1 3/4 pounds)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 8 ounces process American cheese, cubed (2 cups)
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- salt & pepper
- 1 (10 ounce) can Rotel Tomatoes
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1In a 3 quart saucepan, brown beef; drain and set aside.
- 2In the same saucepan, saute onion, carrots, celery, basil and parsley in 1 tablespoon butter until vegetables are tender about 10 minutes.
- 3Add broth, tomatoes, potatoes and beef; bring to a boil.
- 4Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- 5Meanwhile, in a small skillet, melt remaining butter.
- 6Add flour; cook and stir for 3-5 minutes or until bubbly.
- 7Add to soup; bring to a boil.
- 8Cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- 9Reduce heat to low.
- 10Add cheese, milk, salt and pepper; cook and stir until cheese melts.
- 11Remove from the heat; blend in sour cream.
- 12(makes 2 1/4 quarts).
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spicy Cheeseburger Soup
Serving Size: 1 (359 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 471.1
- Calories from Fat 250
- Total Fat 27.8 g
- Saturated Fat 15.8 g
- Cholesterol 83.0 mg
- Sodium 1315.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 5.6 g
- Protein 22.5 g