Recipe by Khandi Howard
This is a great Potato - Hamburger soup and a nice alternative to plain potato soup. It is spicy with the addition of a can of Rotel tomatoes (tomatoes with chili peppers added) - if you don't want it to be spicey, just add a can of plain diced tomatoes. This soup freezes well. I freeze it in Hefty disposable containers and warm it in the microwave for a quick meal.
Top Review by Sabine35
This soup was absolutely wonderful. My family loved it. I could not feed it to my toddlers though. Next time I will use regular diced tomatoes. I would recommend it to everyone.
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 lb ground beef
- 3⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 3⁄4 cup shredded carrot
- 3⁄4 cup diced celery
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 4 tablespoons butter or 4 tablespoons margarine, divided
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups diced peeled potatoes (1 3/4 pounds)
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 8 ounces process American cheese, cubed (2 cups)
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- salt & pepper
- 1 (10 ounce) can Rotel Tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- In a 3 quart saucepan, brown beef; drain and set aside.
- In the same saucepan, saute onion, carrots, celery, basil and parsley in 1 tablespoon butter until vegetables are tender about 10 minutes.
- Add broth, tomatoes, potatoes and beef; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, melt remaining butter.
- Add flour; cook and stir for 3-5 minutes or until bubbly.
- Add to soup; bring to a boil.
- Cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Add cheese, milk, salt and pepper; cook and stir until cheese melts.
- Remove from the heat; blend in sour cream.
- (makes 2 1/4 quarts).