We started out using a recipe my mom had for Cheeseburger Soup (I think it was from Taste of Home magazine), but the only thing that really remains is the beef and Velveeta. Also, we use the smallest cans of Rotel and enchilada sauce available...I'm not sure waht the actual ounces are on those cans. I usually make the beef and chop the onion the day before so I can make it quickly in the evening. It also helps to chop the potatoes and leave them in a pot of water so they don't brown. I drain the water off and pour them in the soup when the recipe calls for it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb hamburger
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) envelope taco seasoning
- 1/4 cup butter, plus
- 3 teaspoons butter or 1/4 cup margarine, divided
- 1/4 of an onion, chopped
- 5 cups water
- 2 -4 tablespoons chicken bouillon
- 4 potatoes, peeled and cubed into bite-size pieces
- 1/4 cup flour
- 12 -16 ounces Velveeta cheese, cubed
- 11 ounces green enchilada sauce
- 1 (11 ounce) can rotel
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 -1 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1In skillet, brown beef, season with seasoned salt or taco seasoning. Drain and set aside.
- 2In large pot, melt ¼ cup butter and sauté chopped onions until soft and tender.
- 3Add 4-5 cups of water, add chicken bouillon and bring to a boil.
- 4Add potatoes and boil until soft.
- 5Lower heat to medium-low, add beef and simmer.
- 6In a pan, melt 3 T. margarine and add flour until thick then add to soup.
- 7Add Velveeta, Rotel, enchilada sauce and milk. Stir until Velveeta is melted and soup is heated through.
- 8Serve topped with cilantro.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spicy Cheeseburger Soup
Serving Size: 1 (652 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 904.0
- Calories from Fat 459
- Total Fat 51.0 g
- Saturated Fat 28.5 g
- Cholesterol 194.1 mg
- Sodium 2062.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 64.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.8 g
- Sugars 9.3 g
- Protein 47.2 g