Recipe by Cookin' in NJ
This is my mother's recipe for delish spicy cheese straws. They are wonderful and savory with a kick of spice! They last for months in a sealed container. They make a great snack or hors dourves.
Top Review by Krystal M.
I halved the recipe and it still made a ton, about 4 dozen. I added a teaspoon of garlic powder for extra flavor and because I'm a garlic fanatic. The dough was a little too stiff to come out of my cookie press so rolled it by hand into small balls and flattened them into wafers. They came out crispy and delicious. This recipe is a keeper. Definitely part of my holiday baking this year.
- 2 1⁄4 cups butter (melted)
- 3 lbs sharp cheddar cheese (finely shredded, bring to room temperature)
- 5 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons ground red pepper (adjust to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Melt butter in the microwave.
- Combine warm butter, salt, red pepper and room temperature cheese in a food processor.
- Add in flour and blend until mixed well.
- Press thru star shaped cookie press in a continuous ribbon onto a non-stick cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 12 - 20 minutes until slightly crusty(depending on oven).