Recipe by Mims & Squims
Pepperoncini & red wine vinegar add a tangy spice that realy kicks this classic sandwich up a notch!
- 3 lbs boneless sirloin steaks or 3⁄4 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 medium vidalia onion
- 2 green bell peppers
- 2 red bell peppers
- 16 pepperoncini peppers, de-stemmed, minced (reserve juice from jar)
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1 lb provolone cheese, thinly sliced
- 8 hoagie rolls
- salt and pepper (to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Slice meat into paper-thin strips, almost shaving it.
- Peel onion & slice paper-thin. Halve & seed bell peppers, and slice thinly.
- Warm 1/4 c oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and bell peppers, cook 6-10 minutes, stirring frequently, until caramelized. Remove from skillet & set aside.
- Add meat, vinegar, 1/2 c juice from peppers & pepperoncini to skillet. Season with salt & pepper. Add more oil as needed. (I often split things between two skillets, as this is a lot of meat!).
- Cook until meat is lightly browned and cooked through, stirring often.
- Place sliced provolone on meat in skillet to melt then immediately transfer to sandwich roll & serve.