Recipe by spatchcock
This is an adopted recipe I have not yet tried. Having made a good number of quesadillas in my day, though, I've probably made this combination or something close to it before and would be willing to bet that it will work just fine. Please review if you try it! Any suggestions will be appreciated.
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1⁄2 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups mushrooms, sliced (6 oz.)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 8 flour tortillas (6 inch)
- 2 cups 6 cheese zesty Mexican cheese blend, divided (8 oz.)
- thick & chunky salsa (optional)
- diced avocados (optional) or guacamole (optional)
- sour cream (optional)
- chopped cilantro (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt 1 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion; cook 3 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, garlic, thyme, salt and pepper; cook 5 to 7 minutes or until liquid evaporates.
- Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter; brush half of butter over one side of 4 tortillas.
- Arrange tortillas, buttered side down, on large baking sheet; top with 3/4 cup cheese.
- Arrange mushroom mixture over cheese; top with 3/4 cup cheese.
- Place remaining 4 tortillas over cheese; press lightly. Brush remaining butter over tops of tortillas.
- Bake at 450 F for 5 to 6 minutes or until top tortillas are golden brown.
- Turn quesadillas over; continue to bake 4 minutes.
- Sprinkle quesadillas with remaining 1/2 cup cheese; continue to bake 1 minute or until quesadillas are golden brown and cheese is melted.
- Cut into wedges; serve with toppings as desired.