Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
To make dark and spicy chole - 6 easy steps 1. Soak the chick peas and cook it with tea bags. 2. Roast, grind and fry the spices. 3. Fry onions and green chillies. 4. Grind 3 tbs of the onion and channa/chick pea mixture (to get thick gravy) 5. Chole - combine all the ingredients and simmer. 6. Garnish
- 2 black cardamom pods
- 3 cloves
- 1.23 ml cumin seed
- 1.23 ml fennel seed
- 1 inch cinnamon
- 2 piece mace
- 1 star anise
- 4.92 ml mango powder
- 4.92 ml coriander powder
- 9.85 ml chili powder
- 473.18 ml chickpeas
- 2 black tea bags
- 44.37 ml oil
- 1 onion
- 3-5 green chilies
- 1 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 4.92 ml ginger-garlic paste
- Chop the onions, green chillies and tomato.
- Soak the chick peas in water for 6 hrs or overnight, rinse it and cook it with salt and the tea bags.
- If using canned chickpeas, drain the liquid, rinse it, add 1 cup of water and 2 teabags and cook it in low heat till the chick peas gets the tea flavor and colour.
- Roast and grind the first seven spices.
- Combine the above ground spices with coriander powder, mango / amchur powder and chilli powder.
- Add 1 tbs of oil in a pan and stir in the combined spices and cook in low heat for few minutes. Remove from stove and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, fry the onions and green chillies till the onion turnes soft golden brown.
- Add the ginger garlic paste and fry for few minutes, add the tomatoes and fry till the tomatoes are soft.
- Take 3 tbs of the cooked channa and the cooked onion mixture and grind it to a fine paste.
- Combine the cooked channa, the ground spices, ground channa and onion mix and the fried onion and green chilli, If the channa masala is dry, add 1/2 cup of water.
- Cover the pan and reduce the heat and let it simmer till the oil separates and the raw smell no longer remains.
- Transfer the chole to a serving bowl and garnish with onion, coriander leaves and lemon wedges. Enjoy it with baturas and poories.