1/1 Photo of Spicy Channa Masala / Spicy Chole
To make dark and spicy chole - 6 easy steps 1. Soak the chick peas and cook it with tea bags. 2. Roast, grind and fry the spices. 3. Fry onions and green chillies. 4. Grind 3 tbs of the onion and channa/chick pea mixture (to get thick gravy) 5. Chole - combine all the ingredients and simmer. 6. Garnish
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 black cardamom pods
- 3 cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1/4 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1/2 inch cinnamon
- 2 pieces mace
- 1 star anise
- 1 teaspoon mango powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 cups chickpeas
- 2 black tea bags
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 onion
- 3 -5 green chilies
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste
- 1Chop the onions, green chillies and tomato.
- 2Soak the chick peas in water for 6 hrs or overnight, rinse it and cook it with salt and the tea bags.
- 3If using canned chickpeas, drain the liquid, rinse it, add 1 cup of water and 2 teabags and cook it in low heat till the chick peas gets the tea flavor and colour.
- 4Roast and grind the first seven spices.
- 5Combine the above ground spices with coriander powder, mango / amchur powder and chilli powder.
- 6Add 1 tbs of oil in a pan and stir in the combined spices and cook in low heat for few minutes. Remove from stove and keep it aside.
- 7Heat oil in a pan, fry the onions and green chillies till the onion turnes soft golden brown.
- 8Add the ginger garlic paste and fry for few minutes, add the tomatoes and fry till the tomatoes are soft.
- 9Take 3 tbs of the cooked channa and the cooked onion mixture and grind it to a fine paste.
- 10Combine the cooked channa, the ground spices, ground channa and onion mix and the fried onion and green chilli, If the channa masala is dry, add 1/2 cup of water.
- 11Cover the pan and reduce the heat and let it simmer till the oil separates and the raw smell no longer remains.
- 12Transfer the chole to a serving bowl and garnish with onion, coriander leaves and lemon wedges. Enjoy it with baturas and poories.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spicy Channa Masala / Spicy Chole
Serving Size: 1 (149 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 268.1
- Calories from Fat 107
- Total Fat 11.9 g
- Saturated Fat 1.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 386.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.1 g
- Sugars 3.8 g
- Protein 7.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
black cardamom pods
black tea bags