Recipe by Renate
I've been making this one for over 30 years now, and still have not learned that by the end of April it's all gone.
Top Review by lunaburning
This is outstanding! My only regret is that I didn't make enough. It's only October, and already I am down to my last two pints. Next year, I'll know to make a double batch. Thanks, Renate!
- 1 gallon tomatoes
- 3 hot peppers, chopped fine (or more if you like it hot)
- 3 large onions, chopped fine
- 2 tablespoons sea salt
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 cups vinegar
- 2 teaspoons celery salt
- 2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1 tablespoon whole allspice
- 1 tablespoon whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon paprika
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook tomatoes, peppers and onions without adding water for 1 hour hard boil.
- Press mixture through a strainer.
- Return to heat and add salt, sugar and spices.
- Boil rapidly until thick again.
- Strain again to remove whole allspice and cloves.
- Return to heat, bring to hard boil and add vinegar.
- Boil till desired consistency.
- Laddle into hot jars and seal immediately.
- Can be processed in a hot water bath, boiling 5 minutes, I never do and have not had one spoil yet.