Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I've been making this one for over 30 years now, and still have not learned that by the end of April it's all gone.
- 1 gallon tomatoes
- 3 hot peppers, chopped fine (or more if you like it hot)
- 3 large onions, chopped fine
- 2 tablespoons sea salt
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 cups vinegar
- 2 teaspoons celery salt
- 2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1 tablespoon whole allspice
- 1 tablespoon whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Cook tomatoes, peppers and onions without adding water for 1 hour hard boil.
- Press mixture through a strainer.
- Return to heat and add salt, sugar and spices.
- Boil rapidly until thick again.
- Strain again to remove whole allspice and cloves.
- Return to heat, bring to hard boil and add vinegar.
- Boil till desired consistency.
- Laddle into hot jars and seal immediately.
- Can be processed in a hot water bath, boiling 5 minutes, I never do and have not had one spoil yet.
This is outstanding! My only regret is that I didn't make enough. It's only October, and already I am down to my last two pints. Next year, I'll know to make a double batch. Thanks, Renate!