Prep 25 mins
Cook 11 mins
An exceptional stir-fry. From Gourmet magazine (2001).
- 1 tablespoon medium-dry sherry
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 3⁄4 lb boneless pork loin, thinly sliced,then cut into 2 by 1/4 inch strips
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil
- 2 teaspoons minced peeled fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into 1/4 inch thick strips
- 1⁄2 lb snow peas, trimmed
- 1 cup salted roasted cashews
- Stir together Sherry, cornstarch, and 1 tblsp soy sauce, then stir in sesame oil.
- Add pork, stirring to coat well, and let stand 10 minutes.
- Stir together sugar and remaining 2 tblsps soy sauce.
- Heat a wok or large nonstick skillet over high heat until a bead of water dropped on cooking surface evaporates immediately.
- Add 1 1/2 tablespoons peanut oil, swirling wok to coat evenly, then stir-fry 1 teaspoon ginger, 1 teaspoon garlic, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper flakes until fragrant, about 5 seconds.
- Add bell pepper and stir-fry 2 minutes.
- Add snow peas and cashews and stir-fry until snow peas are crisp-tender, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Transfer vegetables to a bowl.
- Heat remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons peanut oil in wok until just smoking, then stir-fry remaining ginger, garlic, and pepper flakes until fragrant, about 5 seconds.
- Add pork and stir-fry, separating strips, until browned and barely cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add vegetables and sweetened soy sauce, then stir-fry until vegetables are just heated through, about 1 minute more.
- Serve with steamed rice.
Another excellent dish. Yes, the pork was the best part. I've never done breading like that before, but it was perfect! I might try that with sweet and sour chicken sometime... Oh, yeah, we skipped the soy sauce due to allergy...
Exceptional is right! The best part of the stir fry is the pork and I generally prefer the vegetables. It was so tender and flavorful. Beautiful, colorful presentation. It's a simple and truly outstanding recipe.
This recipe is delicious!