Recipe by NcMysteryShopper
This delicious vegetable recipe is a great side dish for entertaining because you can serve it warm, at room temperature or even slightly chilled. And it goes with almost any main course, from beef to chicken to fish. MAKE AHEAD: The carrots can be prepared early in the day and kept at room temperature or refrigerated. From Anissa Helou and the Couscous Chronicles, Food and Wine, March 2005.
Top Review by Sarah
Great side dish! I loved the idea of cooking the carrots with garlic - something I had never thought of doing before. I used about half the amount of carrots as I was only serving 3 people, but I did keep the rest of the ingredients the same. A wonderful blend of flavours. Made and reviewed for ZWT 4.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs carrots, quartered lengthwise, then halved crosswise
- 4 garlic cloves, halved
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup flat leaf parsley, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons sliced blanched almonds
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large, deep skillet, cover the carrots and garlic with water and bring to a boil. Cook over moderately high heat until the carrots are tender, about 10 minutes. Drain and let cool; discard the garlic.
- In a large bowl, combine the olive oil, lemon juice, parsley, cilantro, paprika and crushed red pepper. Season the dressing with salt. Add the carrots, toss to coat and sprinkle the almonds on top. Serve warm, at room temperature or slightly chilled.