Prep 0 mins
Cook 50 mins
Oringinal recipe from The Best American Recipes 2005-2006.
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 cup creme fraiche
- 1 lime, zest of, grated
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon minced cilantro
- salt, to taste
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 white onion, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 small jalapeno, seeded, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon peeled finely grated ginger
- 1 lb carrot, peeled, sliced (about 4 large carrots)
- 4 cups chicken stock
- salt, to taste
- TO MAKE GINGER OIL:.
- Whisk together the ingredients in a saucepan.
- Bring to boil on medium-high heat.
- Cool and pour into a covered container and refrigerate overnight.
- The next day, slowly spoon or pour out the ginger oil without distrubing the residue that had settled at the bottom of the container.
- TO MAKE LIME CREME:.
- Put the creme fraiche into a lidded container, add in lime zest, lime juice, minced cilantro and salt; stir to mix.
- Cover and refrigerate.
- TO MAKE CARROT SOUP:.
- In a saucepan, heat the oil and 1 tablespoon of the ginger oil over medium heat.
- Add in the sliced onions, minced garlic, jalapeno and grated ginger, stir frequently.
- Cook until onions are soft and translucent, about 5 minutes, do not brown the onions.
- Add in the carrots and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add in 3 cups of stock.
- Increase the heat to medium-high and bring to boil.
- Reduce the heat to low, simmer partly covered, for about 20 minutes or till carrots are tender.
- Ladle the soup in batches, into a blender and puree till smooth and return the blended soup to the saucepan.
- Add in the remaining stock to achieve the desired consistency.
- Season with salt to taste.
- TO SERVE:.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and drizzle with some of the remaining ginger oil and a dollop of lime creme.
- Makes 6 cups.