Recipe by ChefDLH
From Food and Wine Magazine. March 2012 issue. British Chef Nick Sandler's sandwich. He made it for the "Meat Free Monday Cookbook" for Paul, Stella, and Mary McCartney who co-author it. Very trendy right now. He is a creative chef whose job it is to make new and interesting sandwiches for a bakery chain in the UK. This is a great take and a healthy alternative for vegetarians and non vegetarians alike. Mayo is replaced with hummus. and creaminess and protein comes from Greek yogurt. The carrots are cooked just for a bit. Delicious. Enjoy! ChefDLH
- 4 slices sourdough bread, grilled
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large carrots, coarsely grated
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 cup plus 2 tablespoons hummus
- 1⁄4 cup Greek yogurt
- cilantro leaf (fresh)
- fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a skillet, heat the olive oil.
- Add the carrots, garlic and caraway, season with salt and crushed red pepper and cook until the carrots are just wilted, about 4 minutes.
- Let cool.
- Spread the hummus on the bread.
- Sprinkle with the carrot mixture and dollop on the yogurt.
- Top with cilantro, season with black pepper and serve.
- Grill another piece of bread for each sandwich if you desire a topped sandwich. This is meant to be open faced.
- ***2 whole wheat baguettes (8-inch, split lengthwise and grilled ).
- can be subbed in for sourdough bread.