Prep 25 mins
Cook 25 mins
The swirl of sweetened cream cheese running through these bars is a nice counter balance to the spicy carrot and pineapple flecked cake.
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple with juice, drained
- 1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon juice
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease 13x9-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In medium bowl combine flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder, salt and allspice, set aside.
- In large bowl, using wire whisk, beat oil, brown sugar and eggs until well blended about 1 minute.
- Stir in shredded carrots, pineapple and flour mixture until just blended.
- Spread batter evenly in pan.
- For topping: in small bowl, using wire whisk, beat together cream cheese, sugar and flour until creamy.
- Add egg and lemon juice; beat well.
- Drop spoonfuls of cream cheese filling onto batter in a random pattern.
- Using a table knife, cut through the mixture to create a marbled effect.
- Bake 25 minutes or until top is set and edges pull away from sides of pan.
- Transfer pan to wire rack and cool completely.
- Cut into 32 bars.
The recipe did turn out very moist but bland--even the cream cheese filling was unremarkable. I omitted the pineapple but added equivalent applesauce and put the batters into Texas-muffin pans (for single serving portions) but my DH, who adores carrot cake anything, said he was not impressed. Maybe they need more sugar?
These bars are super moist! Unfortunately, I was not able to swirl these as called for. I don't know what I did wrong, but when I put the topping on, it spread out to cover the top of the bars. I'm not too worried about it, because they are still delicious! Thnx for sharing your recipe, Vina. Made for My-3-Chefs 2009.