4 hrs 15 mins
i made this last week, my first attempt at pulled pork, and it was a winner. i had a spicy carolina style pp sandwich at a native american festival, and got into a chat with the cooks. this was the recipe, from what i can recall as it was told to me. by the way, this is by no means a low fat dish. trying to make it low fat will just not be the same. please enjoy it the way it was meant to be. pork fat rules!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 5 lbs pork shoulder
- 1 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon powdered cayenne pepper
- 2 red onions, quartered
- 2 yellow onions, quartered
- 1combine the brown sugar, paprika, salt and pepper, and rub the mixture over the roast. wrap tightly in plastic, and refrigerate a few hours, overnight is best.
- 2in a bowl, combine the vinegar, worcestershire sauce, red pepper flakes, sugar, mustard, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper. mix well.
- 3place the quartered onions in the bottom of the crock pot. unwrap the roast, and place on top of onions. drizzle most of the vinegar mix over the roast, reserving some to add to the shredded meat at the end.
- 4cover and cook on low for 7 to 8 hours, or high for 4 to 5 hours.
- 5remove the meat and onions to a cutting board. remove skin and set aside. using two forks (or your fingers, if you have asbestos hands), pull and shred the pork. chop the onions, and mix into the shredded meat. using a fork, remove some of the fat from under the skin, mince, and add to the shredded meat and onions as needed for moisture and flavor.
- 6serve on warm buns or crusty hard rolls, with the remaining vinegar mixture on the side.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spicy Carolina Style Pulled Pork (In Crock Pot) Recipe
Serving Size: 1 (385 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 980.7
- Calories from Fat 616
- Total Fat 68.5 g
- Saturated Fat 23.6 g
- Cholesterol 268.3 mg
- Sodium 1115.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 12.1 g
- Protein 66.5 g