Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 4 hrs
i made this last week, my first attempt at pulled pork, and it was a winner. i had a spicy carolina style pp sandwich at a native american festival, and got into a chat with the cooks. this was the recipe, from what i can recall as it was told to me. by the way, this is by no means a low fat dish. trying to make it low fat will just not be the same. please enjoy it the way it was meant to be. pork fat rules!
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 5 lbs pork shoulder
- 1 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon powdered cayenne pepper
- 2 red onions, quartered
- 2 yellow onions, quartered
- combine the brown sugar, paprika, salt and pepper, and rub the mixture over the roast. wrap tightly in plastic, and refrigerate a few hours, overnight is best.
- in a bowl, combine the vinegar, worcestershire sauce, red pepper flakes, sugar, mustard, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper. mix well.
- place the quartered onions in the bottom of the crock pot. unwrap the roast, and place on top of onions. drizzle most of the vinegar mix over the roast, reserving some to add to the shredded meat at the end.
- cover and cook on low for 7 to 8 hours, or high for 4 to 5 hours.
- remove the meat and onions to a cutting board. remove skin and set aside. using two forks (or your fingers, if you have asbestos hands), pull and shred the pork. chop the onions, and mix into the shredded meat. using a fork, remove some of the fat from under the skin, mince, and add to the shredded meat and onions as needed for moisture and flavor.
- serve on warm buns or crusty hard rolls, with the remaining vinegar mixture on the side.
This was my first time ever making pulled pork in the crock pot and it was EXCELLENT! Everyone loved it. We served it with Hawaiian rolls. I will definitely be making it again.
Ok Bucky, I stood by ya with getting this posted and then realized I HAD to try it once you got it on zaar :) I have never made anything like this (ya know I am the Canadian girl transplanted to NC) this is FABULOUS!!! Super easy to make. I had to sacrifice my lowfat way of life for one day. I love that it could be done in the crockpot too. I made no changes (nor would I have) oh heavens !! another time I wish we had 10 stars !!! A KEEPER!! If this is your first zaar recipe your off to a great start :)
Being from eastern Carolina, this is by far my favorie slow cooker bbq recipe I have come across. When I am sans smoker, this is the recipe I use for that carolina pulled pork taste. Also, this recipe has great basics down, but tons of slight variations are possible. For example, i add some liquid smoke to the pork. Thanks for sharing!!