Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
I love beans and rice --the carb lover coming out in me. Good as a main dish or side dish. This is a good one adapted from Cooking Light. Serving size: 1 3/4 c., 325 calories, 2.3 g fat, 62.2 g carb, 0 mg cholesterol.
Top Review by flower7
This was a very interesting dish - different from other beans and rice dishes I've had, but in a good way. I shredded the carrot and added a little extra sherry & balsamic. It is a little dry, since there is no "sauce" to speak of, but the flavor is very nice. Thanks for the recipe!
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 1⁄4 cups diced onions
- 3⁄4 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1 tablespoon bottled minced garlic (this is not a mistake)
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper (to taste)
- salt (to taste)
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 bay leaves
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in a big saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the onion, carrot, and garlic; saute/stir for 10 minutes.
- Add in the rice and the rest of the ingredients; cover, reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
- Discard the bay leaves.