Recipe by Mom2Rose
This Scandinavian spice cookies are great to have with a fresh brewed cup of coffee.
- 1 1⁄3 cups sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons dark corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- sliced almonds
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine sugar and butter in large bowl.
- Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until creamy.
- Add egg, corn syrup, water and vanilla; beat until well mixed.
- Reduce speed to low; add all remaining ingredients except almonds.
- Beat until well mixed.
- Divide dough into thirds.
- Shape each third into 1/2-inch thick squares.
- Wrap each square in plastic food wrap. Refrigerate until firm (1 to 2 hours).
- Heat oven to 375°F
- Roll out dough, one-third at a time, on lightly floured surface (keeping remaining dough refrigerated), to 12x10-inch rectangle.
- Cut into 2-inch squares using pastry cutter or sharp knife; cut squares diagonally in half to form triangles.
- Place 1 inch apart onto ungreased cookie sheets.
- Lightly press almonds into center of each cookie.
- Bake for 7 to 9 minutes or until edges are very lightly browned and cookies are set.