From the blog Serious Eats. It looks so yummy. I like bacon and this is something I want to try very soon.
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Mix the chili powder and brown sugar in a shallow bowl.
- Fit a sheet of parchment paper onto a jelly-roll pan.
- Bury each slice of bacon in the chili and sugar mixture; rub both sides to assure the mixture adheres.
- Lay the bacon strips on the prepared pan.
- The bacon strips may be left flat or twisted two or three times by holding each end to make a candied "stick".
- Bake for 30 minutes without turning.
- Always transfer candied bacon using tongs; the hot sugar can easily burn your fingers.
Very similar to my Candied Bacon, except mine uses cumin instead of chili powder. :) I cooked mine in a rack on top of a broiler pan so the bacon wouldn't soak up all that fat. Otherwise, I made it as posted. I twisted some and left some flat. The twisted ones took a bit longer to cook. This was delicious! Thanks for sharing.
We just loved this bacon; sweet and a little spicy at the end. I used my Sil-Pat mat, to make for an easier clean-up. This would be awesome crumbled over a salad, but it is great on it's own. I did forget to twist them, but will try to remember next time. Like DH said when tasting it, "How could you make it any better?" I agree! Thanks for sharing, Boomette.
I don't know about you, but I'd love to have a doctor actually insist that I eat bacon. ...and to think, a recipe that makes bacon even tastier. Curse you. ;-}