Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a recipe from an insert booklet that came with my Quick Cooking Magazine. I tried it because I love smoked sausage, Ro-tel, spinach and rice, just had not tried them together. I used Minute brown rice and no-fat chicken broth to make it a little healthier.
- 16 ounces smoked sausage or 16 ounces kielbasa, sliced into 1/4 inch slices
- 2 (10 ounce) cansro-tel tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 14 1⁄2 ounces chicken broth
- 10 ounces frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained and squeezed dry
- 2⁄3 cup uncooked instant rice
- In a large skillet saute sausage until lightly browned;drain.
- Add tomatoes and broth.
- Bring to boil.
- Add spinach.
- Return to a boil.
- Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add rice.
- Cover and remove from heat.
- Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Stir with a fork.
I tried adapting this one to the slow cooker. It turned out good but a little salty. Any tips for a less intense salt flavor? Less stock? Add a potato?
Wonderful ~ and SPICY!!! We LOVED this dish and I'll certainly be making it again, it's so quick and easy to put together. Thanks mandabears ~ made for DIABETIC FORUM HEART HEALTHY TAG, February 2010!
This has a very nice flavor, enjoyed the spinach in this recipe. I used skinless smoked sausage, mild Ro-Tel, and white instant rice. Simple to make and takes no time at all! We are just beginning to explore spicier foods and the mild Ro-Tel was a bit to hot for us yet but if you enjoy spicy hotter foods this is a must have recipe for you!