Recipe by SueVM
I found this recipe in a Mr. Foods magazine and it has become a family favorite. Do use a spicy sausage for this dish as I have found using just plain pork sausage meat does not work as well.
Top Review by Tina A.
This was a great recipe. Spicy and delicious. It took more time to prep than I expected. I used a hot and spicy sausage that wasn't cooked yet. I also added lime to the recipe which made it even better. I added some Cajun seasoning and cayenne to the chicken to flavor if more. Yummy!!
- 1⁄4 cup butter (1/2 stick)
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 3 celery ribs, coarsely chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 lbs shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 (28 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 -3 teaspoon hot pepper sauce, to taste
- 1⁄2 lb precooked spicy andouille sausage, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1⁄2 lb smoked ham, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1⁄2 lb crawfish, peeled (optional)
- 1 bunch scallion, coarsely chopped
- 2 pinches salt (or to taste)
- 3 cups uncooked long-grain white rice
- In a large pot melt butter over medium-high heat.
- Add onion, bell pepper, celery, garlic and saute 5 minutes stirring often.
- Add shrimp, chicken bay leaves and thyme. Reduce heat to medium and cook for 10 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink inside and the shrimp is opaque.
- Stir in paprika until thoroughly mixed with other ingredients.
- Stir in tomatoes, chicken broth, worcestershire sauce and hot sauce until well mixed.
- Add sausage and ham stirring well. Add crawfish (if using) and cook over medium-high heat until the liquid returns to a boil.
- Stir in scallions, salt and rice. Reduce heat to low, cover with lid and cook 30 minutes or until the rice is tender.
- Serve with fresh crusty french bread.