Spicy Cajun Boiled Peanuts
- Wash raw peanuts in shell.
- Soak peanuts in water to cover 45 minutes to loosen any remaining dirt.
- Drain peanuts, and rinse well under cold running water.
- Place peanuts, salt, and remaining ingredients in a 12-quart Dutch oven.
- Add 1 3/4 gallon water; stir well.
- Cover and bring to a boil; decrease heat and simmer 4-6 hours or until tender (peanuts are done when texture is tender and firm, but not crunchy--similar to cooked pinto beans).
- Drain peanuts, and store in zip-lock plastic bags in refrigerator for up to 2 weeks, or freeze in zip-lock plastic freezer bags for up to 2 months.