Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 40 mins
Recipe from Kalyn Denny's blog, Kalyn's Kitchen, adapted by her from a recipe in Bon Appetit. Her blog centers on healthful, low-sugar recipes suitable for the South Beach Diet, but her recipes are great for anyone. My husband, not a huge fan of winter squashes, really enjoys this filling soup. We add a squeeze of lime juice at the table. I use packaged butternut squash chunks from Sam's and roast them about half an hour until soft and slightly caramelized. I also use strong homemade chicken or turkey stock instead of vegetable broth and 2 cups of cooked black beans instead of the canned ones.
- 1 large butternut squash (about 1.5 lbs.)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cups finely chopped onions
- 2 cups finely chopped celery
- 6 garlic cloves, finely minced (about 1 T minced garlic)
- 6 cups vegetable stock (or slightly more, if you'd like a thinner soup) or 6 cups canned vegetable broth (or slightly more, if you'd like a thinner soup)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin (or more)
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped small
- 1⁄2 cup chopped cilantro (plus more to garnish soup if desired)
- 1 -2 tablespoon Tabasco jalapeno sauce (or other jalapeno hot sauce of your choice)
- low-fat sour cream or plain Greek yogurt (to garnish)
- lime wedge (optional)
- tortilla chips (optional)
- Preheat oven or toasted oven to 400F/200°C Cut butternut squash in half and use a sharp spoon to scoop out seeds. Place squash on a baking sheet and season with salt and fresh ground black pepper. Roast squash until it is soft enough to pierce easily with a fork, and starting to slightly brown, about 50-60 minutes. Let squash cool enough to handle.
- While squash is roasting, chop onion and celery and mince the garlic. Heat olive oil in large non-stick soup pot and saute onions and celery until they're soft, about 7 minutes. Add minced garlic and cook 2-3 minutes more. Add 2 cups of vegetable broth and simmer the mixture about 10 minutes.
- As soon as the squash has cooled enough to handle, scrape the flesh away with the skin and mix it with the other 4 cups of broth and the ground cumin. Add this mixture to the soup pot and simmer about 20 minutes; then use an immersion blender to puree the soup.
- While the soup simmers, rinse the black beans well with cold water and let them drain in a colander. Chop the cilantro and red bell pepper. After you're pureed the soup add the beans, red bell pepper, and cilantro and simmer about 15-20 minutes more, adding a little more stock if you'd like a thinner soup. Stir in the Green Tabasco Sauce to taste and serve hot, garnished with low-fat sour cream or plain Greek yogurt, lime wedges, and tortilla chips if desired.