1 hr 50 mins
1 hr 40 mins
Recipe from Kalyn Denny's blog, Kalyn's Kitchen, adapted by her from a recipe in Bon Appetit. Her blog centers on healthful, low-sugar recipes suitable for the South Beach Diet, but her recipes are great for anyone. My husband, not a huge fan of winter squashes, really enjoys this filling soup. We add a squeeze of lime juice at the table. I use packaged butternut squash chunks from Sam's and roast them about half an hour until soft and slightly caramelized. I also use strong homemade chicken or turkey stock instead of vegetable broth and 2 cups of cooked black beans instead of the canned ones.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large butternut squash (about 1.5 lbs.)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cups finely chopped onions
- 2 cups finely chopped celery
- 6 garlic cloves, finely minced (about 1 T minced garlic)
- 6 cups vegetable stock (or slightly more, if you'd like a thinner soup) or 6 cups canned vegetable broth (or slightly more, if you'd like a thinner soup)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin (or more)
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped small
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro (plus more to garnish soup if desired)
- 1 -2 tablespoon Tabasco jalapeno sauce (or other jalapeno hot sauce of your choice)
- low-fat sour cream or plain Greek yogurt (to garnish)
- lime wedge (optional)
- tortilla chips (optional)
- 1Preheat oven or toasted oven to 400F/200°C Cut butternut squash in half and use a sharp spoon to scoop out seeds. Place squash on a baking sheet and season with salt and fresh ground black pepper. Roast squash until it is soft enough to pierce easily with a fork, and starting to slightly brown, about 50-60 minutes. Let squash cool enough to handle.
- 2While squash is roasting, chop onion and celery and mince the garlic. Heat olive oil in large non-stick soup pot and saute onions and celery until they're soft, about 7 minutes. Add minced garlic and cook 2-3 minutes more. Add 2 cups of vegetable broth and simmer the mixture about 10 minutes.
- 3As soon as the squash has cooled enough to handle, scrape the flesh away with the skin and mix it with the other 4 cups of broth and the ground cumin. Add this mixture to the soup pot and simmer about 20 minutes; then use an immersion blender to puree the soup.
- 4While the soup simmers, rinse the black beans well with cold water and let them drain in a colander. Chop the cilantro and red bell pepper. After you're pureed the soup add the beans, red bell pepper, and cilantro and simmer about 15-20 minutes more, adding a little more stock if you'd like a thinner soup. Stir in the Green Tabasco Sauce to taste and serve hot, garnished with low-fat sour cream or plain Greek yogurt, lime wedges, and tortilla chips if desired.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spicy Butternut Squash Soup With Black Beans, Red Bell Pepper, A
Serving Size: 1 (334 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 223.5
- Calories from Fat 21
- Total Fat 2.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 56.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.0 g
- Sugars 8.7 g
- Protein 8.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: