Recipe by Christmas Carol
Spicy, well-seasoned fried chicken from "25 Years Of Favorite Brand Name Recipes". Adjust the cayenne pepper to your personal tastes. If you're an atomic wing eater at the local bar, you may want to increase it!
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 3 teaspoons red pepper sauce
- 1 (3 -4 lb) chicken, cut into 8 pieces rinsed and patted dry
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- canola oil (for frying)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a shallow baking dish, whisk together the buttermilk and red pepper sauce. Add chicken pieces and turn to coat. Cover and refrigerate for a minimum of 2 hours and up to 24.
- In a shallow baking dish, whisk together the flour, oregano, garlic powder, paprika, cayenne pepper, salt, and freshly ground black pepper. Toss the chicken pieces in the seasoned flour, a few at a time, until well-coated. Dip chicken in the buttermilk mixture, then coat again in the flour mixture.
- In a large heavy skillet, pour oil to a depth of 1 inch. Heat the oil to 350°F (Use a deep-fry thermometer to measure the temperature.).
- Carefully add chicken pieces in a single layer, skin side down. Fry about 4 minutes, turn over, and fry the other side for about 4 minutes. Turn again, frying for a total of about 15 minutes, or until chicken is evenly golden brown, crisp, and cooked through. (170F breast meat; 180F dark meat).
- Carefully remove cooked chicken from pan. Place on a paper towel-lined plate to drain. Serve warm or at room temperature.