Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
"Offers 18 grams of fiber per serving - nearly three-fourths of your daily fiber needs!" From Shape magazine.
- 2 1⁄2 cups chicken stock or 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 cups medium-grind bulgur
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef
- 3 green onions, chopped fine
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄2 garlic clove, minced
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded and chopped into 1/4-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons chopped oregano
- 2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
- 2 ounces feta cheese, crumbled, about 1/3 cup
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 4 wheat hamburger buns
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, bring the chicken stock to a simmer. Add the bulgur and 1 teaspoon of salt. Cover and turn off heat. Let stand 10 minutes. Fluff bulger with a fork. Transfer to a large, shallow bowl and allow to cool.
- In another medium bowl, place 1 cup of the cooled bulgur. Add gound beef, half the green onions, cumin, cayenne and garlic. Mix with your hands so inredients are well incorporated. Form into 4 patties. Grill, broil or cook patties in a nonstick fry pan, about 5 minutes per side until done.
- Meanwhile, prepare the bulgur salad by adding the remaining onions, cucumber, oregano, pine nuts, feta, lemon juice and olive oil to remaining bulgur. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve burgers on whole-wheat buns with your favorite fixings, along with 1.2 cup of the bulgur salad. (You will have lefrover salad.).