Recipe by kitty.rock
From Southern Living May 2009 Special "Movie Night" Section, these sandwiches were rated "mild" by the test staff for heat level. Let guests add more hot sauce to taste. I like the inclusion of crispy carrots and celery to this sandwich -- a good way to get some extra veggies! This recipe includes the usual blue cheese dressing, which I personally do not like, so I would substitute ranch dressing, and shredded parmesan or swiss cheese for the blue cheese crumbles. You can also used grilled or roasted chicken strips to avoid the 'fried stuff' -- still delicious.
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup buffalo-style hot sauce, divided
- 6 hoagie rolls, split
- 1⁄3 cup refrigerated blue cheese dressing (or ranch dressing)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon creole seasoning
- 1 1⁄2 cups matchstick-cut carrots
- 1 1⁄2 cups diagonally sliced celery
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped onion (optional)
- 12 large deli-fried chicken strips (about 1 1/4 pound)
- 1 (4 ounce) packagecrumbled blue cheese (or shredded parmesan or swiss cheese)
- buffalo-style hot sauce (extra-optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Stir together butter and 2 teaspoons hot sauce. Brush cut sides of rolls evenly with mixture. Place, cut sides up, on a baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees F for 8 to 10 minutes or until toasted.
- Stir together blue cheese dressing, 2-3 teaspoons hot sauce, and Creole seasoning. Add carrots, celery, and if desired, onion; toss to coat.
- Arrange chicken on bottom halves of rolls; drizzle evenly with remaining hot sauce.
- Layer chicken evenly with carrot mixture and crumbled blue cheese.
- Top with remaining roll halves. Serve with additional hot sauce, if desired.