Prep 30 mins
Cook 8 mins
I had something similar to this at a party and decided I could do it better with a spicy Cajun flair.
- 1 French bread (Baguette)
- 8 ounces grape tomatoes
- 3 garlic cloves (about 2 tbls.)
- 1 (4 ounce) canof sliced black olives
- 8 ounces butter
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 pinches white pepper, to taste
- 1 -2 tablespoon cayenne pepper, to taste
- 3 ounces olive oil
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon fresh parsley or 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 shallot
- 5 tablespoons finely chopped green onions
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped celery
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 6 ounces ricotta cheese
- 2 ounces parmesan cheese
- Cut french bread into thin slices (<1/4in) and set aside.
- Cut tomatoes into thin slices and set aside.
- Keeping separated finely chop shallot, green onion, celery, cilantro, parsley, basil and oregano.
- In a pan, using 2 oz olive oil sauté until soft (3-5 min): shallot, 3 tbls green onion, celery, parsley, basil,1 1/2 tbls cilantro, 1 tbls pressed garlic.
- In a bowl mix together all cheeses (may have to microwave cheese 30 sec), cooled down sautéed ingredients from pan, garlic powder white pepper and cayenne pepper, best if refrigerated a few hours before spreading.
- Put butter remaining olive oil and remaining garlic in a cup and melt down in a microwave.
- Spread sliced bread on large cookie sheet.
- Stir butter and generously brush it on one side of each piece of bread.
- Put bread in broiler until lightly toasted.
- Spread cheese mixture on cooled down bread.
- Place sliced olives (2-3) on each piece.
- Top with 2 or 3 slices of tomato.
- Mix remaining cilantro and green onion and sprinkle over each slice.
- You may have to chop some more cilantro and green onion for this.
- Remember cilantro has a very powerful taste so use sparingly.
- You can serve cold or put in oven at 350 for 5-8 minutes not allowing cheese to run.