1/2 Photos of Spicy Brownies
These brownies have a little extra bite to them, enough to make the sweetness interesting.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 finely chopped sauteed jalapeno (optional)
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips (optional)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- 1Preheat oven to 350; prepare 9x9-inch or 9x13-inch baking pan with butter or butter flavored non-stick cooking spray.
- 2Cream butter with mixer; margarine or spreads are not recommended.
- 3Add sugar and red pepper to the butter; cream with mixer until fluffy.
- 4Using a wooden spoon, stir in vanilla, almond extract, and eggs until just combined; do not overbeat; do not use mixer; overbeating results in brownies that rise too much during baking, and then fall as they cool.
- 5If spicier brownies are desired, add jalapenos.
- 6In a separate bowl, combine the flour, cocoa, cinnamon, and salt; adding ingredients separately to butter mixture can result in overbeating.
- 7Gently stir the dry ingredients into butter mixture; if desired add chocolate chips to the butter mixture with the dry ingredients; stir until combined.
- 8Spread mixture into prepared pan; if desired, evenly spread walnut pieces over the top of the batter.
- 9For a 9x9-inch pan, bake on center rack for 35 to 40 minutes; for a 9x13-inch pan, bake on center rack for 30 to 35 minutes.
- 10Cool on a wire rack and cut into squares.
Browse Our Top Bar Cookie Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bar Cookie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spicy Brownies
Serving Size: 1 (1130 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 231.4
- Calories from Fat 94
- Total Fat 10.5 g
- Saturated Fat 6.1 g
- Cholesterol 75.7 mg
- Sodium 116.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 25.2 g
- Protein 3.2 g