Top Review by Janet Green
This is FABULOUS!!!! I came on here in search of a recipe to use my abundance of berries this year. This recipe was not only different, but I thought would be a nice change from the usual desserts you find for blackberries. I've now made 3 batches, it tastes wonderful and everyone who has tried it wants their own bottle!!!
- 2 lbs blackberries
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 teaspoons allspice berries
- 2 teaspoons whole cloves
- 2 1⁄3 cups vinegar
- 2 cups sugar
- fresh blackberries, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Break the cinnamon sticks into pieces.
- Put all the spices on a square of cheesecloth and tie up with a piece of string.
- Put the vinegar and sugar into a large saucepan.
- Stir over low heat, until the sugar has completely dissolved.
- Add the spice bag.
- Bring to a boil, lower heat, and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the blackberries and simmer for 10 minutes longer.
- Remove from heat and leave the blackberry mixture to cool completely.
- Discard the spice bag.
- Line a funnel with a double layer of cheesecloth.
- Strain flavored vinegar into sterilized bottles (within 1/8-inch of the tops).
- Add fresh blackberries to each bottle.
- Seal the bottle and label.
- The vinegar is now ready to use.