Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a Paula Deen recipe. I just love her twists southern dishes.
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 (16 ounce) package dried black-eyed peas, washed
- 1 (12 ounce) candiced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup water
- In a large saucepan, cook bacon until crisp. Remove bacon, crumble and set aside to use as topping for peas.
- Saute onion in bacon drippings until tender. Add peas, diced tomatoes and green chilies, salt, chili powder, pepper and water.
- Cook, covered, over medium heat for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until peas are tender. Add additional water of necessary.