Recipe by Steve P.
Source: The Black-Eyed Pea restaurant in Houston, Texas.
Top Review by Junebug
Steve1 was kind enough to post this recipe after I posted a request for it. I made it on New Years and it was fabulous! It was easy to assemble, used readily available ingredients and the taste was great! The best black-eyed peas I've ever had! I know what I'm cooking every New Years from now until eternity! Thanks so much for posting!
- 5 slices bacon, small pieces
- 2 tablespoons jalapenos, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 pinch black pepper, freshly ground
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 3 cups swiss cheese or 3 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 cups tomatoes, chopped
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 cups water
- 4 (15 7/8 ounce) cans black-eyed peas, drained
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute bacon in large saucepan until lightly browned.
- Add onion, jalapenos, tomatoes, garlic, salt and pepper to bacon drippings; saute 5 minutes.
- Add water and bouillon, dissolving the cubes in the mixture.
- Add peas to bouillon mixture.
- Add cheese and simmer gently until cheese is melted.