Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
A delicious, thick soup from The Black-Eyed Pea Restaurant. It's great with cornbread on a cold night. It freezes well, too!
- 1⁄2 lb bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 jalapenos, seeded and chopped
- 1 can stewed tomatoes
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 5 cans black-eyed peas (I like Trappey's brand)
- 3 cups grated cheddar cheese
- Saute onion, jalepenos, garlic and salt and pepper in 1 tbls.
- bacon drippings.
- Add tomatoes and chop up.
- Add bouillon and bacon; then peas.
- Simmer a while to blend flavors (not a high boil).
- Add cheese to simmer and melt.